Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Trip Journal - Marsa, Carthage, Gammarth 28 Oct


Cafe SafSaf
Today my destination is Carthage, on our way we stopped in Marsa & Gammarth both coastal towns. Where most middle class Tunisian spend their summer. The small centre of La Marsa is quite charming & not much to see. Safsaf cafe is the main attraction a camel draws water from a well.


We had a sandwich Fricasse - tiny delicious sandwich with tuna, harissa, olives and olive oil.


All the coast road is beautiful a combination of green & blue. I am lucky that the weather is great sunny with cold breeze.


Carthage today, is mainly Roman sites, including theatres, temples, villas and baths. Many of the sites stand in ruins, including the Roman Amphitheatre and the thermal Antoine Baths, which were once the largest baths built by the Romans.

All these sites have one ticket of 7 dinars value! I started from the theater, moved to the museum, cathedral, baths & then the villas. I walked up the nearby Byrsa Hill enjoying the view of beautiful houses and gardens. Once I reached the top at St. Louis Cathedral I had a superb view of Carthage.

The Baths left me with a calm sensation & appreciation for Roman civilization at that time. I loved it, I felt like touching all the stones, ruins. The battery of my camera decided to die in this particular place. Maybe so I carry the feeling of this place in heart than in a digital format.

We stopped for lunch. I had a Tunisian salad made from diced cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, onions seasoned with olive oil and garnished with olives, eggs and tuna. It is similar to the French Niçoise. I have never in my life been in a place where Tuna & Eggs are as essential ingredients as in Tunisia! Maybe as a person who don't eat chicken or meat I am left with less options. Maybe!

Mild headache I started to catch up with Tunisian version of Arabic.


No comments:

Post a Comment