Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Trip Journal - Medina, Tuisia 27 Oct

Bab Bahr

The old quarter of Tunis is called Medina which means in Arabic "city". Median has a strong Arabic flavor; as most old Arabic cities, they have different doors to enter the city. The main entrance is called Bab El Bahr "Sea Door". More Arabic city characteristics are the narrow allies, covered souq, wonderful buildings, doorways and tilework can bee seen all way around. I loved strolling aimlessly in the maze of narrow allies, putting my head inside open doors to see the hidden treasures of each house.

Medina is classified as world heritage by the UNISCO.

Unfortunately, I arrived after the opening hours of Al Zitouna Mosque (Mosque of the Olive Tree); something to keep for future visit.

In the souq, there are everything you could thing of; colorful hand-made carpets, hand-crafted jewellery, leather products, copper and brassware, pottery, exotic spices, and much more. I can spend days as shops offer a fascinating insight into Tunisian culture and lifestyle. I found out that they have two types of souqs one is called the Arabic souq which is the Tunisian one, the other is called the Syrian Souq which refers to any imported merchant.

I have a rule when traveling is to taste every day something new, mine for the day is a Brick (pronounced breek) is a Tunisian version of burek consisting of thin pastry around a filling of egg, chopped onion, capers, tuna and boiled potato. Brick is served in a plate with a slice of lemon and Harissa. I later on found that Harissa is an essential part of the Tunisian cuisine. My days & nights filled with it. It is a hot red pepper sauce made of red chili peppers, garlic and olive oil. Ah, Sweat shops kept offering us pieces to taste, yummy... mostly are made from nuts specially almonds.

I am having a headache from concentrating on understanding what the people accompanying me are saying. How different is there Arabic. I guess I will have to start a dictionary of East & West Arabic dialects.

M3 Salamh

http://picasaweb.google.com/Bluedolpin14/Tuni

No comments:

Post a Comment