Monday, April 27, 2009

Baraka




I didn't read any review before picking the movie, so I spent the first minutes expecting to see an actor, a human voice, a narrative. Nothing came up; not in the first 10 minutes not in the last 96 minute. At the beginning, it was not easy for me to keep my concentration & focus.

It turned out that Baraka is a nonverbal film containing breathtaking images of 24 countries from 6 continents combined with an incredible sound tracks. I was restless to figure out where the shots were taken to the extent that I wanted to pause & google it on the spot. At the end of the DVD Fricke explains that it was intentional to leave the movie without narration or subtitle. "It's not where you are that's important, it's what's there."

At the end of the movie, I wanted to grab my bag and start traveling to India, China, Africa, Cambodia. There is a lot to learn about other cultures, religious, nature and the world over.

It doesn't say anything. But you will find a lot to say about it.

I will watch this movie again & again.

1 comment:

  1. The film had a magical calming effect on me...it showed oneness and diversity. It tickled a sense of belonging to one humanity.

    Last week I watched August Rush, and somehow there was something in common with Baraka. If we just try to unplug from the distortions of our modern life, the distortion outside of us and inside of us, we can hear many things that this world and life try to communicate to us. Life, earth, creation all sing and talk, but we can't hear them, from the white noise that pollutes our hearing...even silence has an amazing sound that we miss on hearing...but if we do, it purifies our spirits.

    ReplyDelete