Friday, March 20, 2009

A Tradition I Cherish

I owe my father for a lot of things in my life, but one of the things that brings comfort & sense of belonging to me is “Friday Breakfast”.

Friday starts by buying FOOD: Hummus, Foul, Falafel, Fatteh, Bread, Eggs, Cheese & much more. Then going home & preparing everything as a team; one would cut vegetables, another would cook Allayet Pandora, etc... We were the owner of the kitchen.

We grew up & started to find all the excuses not to wake up early on a Friday (who on earth want to!) or to prepare or even to attend. Yet, we didn't succeed! No matter what we would do somehow we ended up back in the Kitchen on a Friday Morning.

Then after passing the rebellious stage we figured out that it is better to enjoy it than to fight it :-) so we started inviting our special friends over for this breakfast. I forgot to mention that after eating until knocked down comes the magical nap - a very easy thing to happen taking into consideration the side effect of Foul & Falafel. Each one of us has his own spot on a sofa in the living room with TV switched on and if the weather permits the window will be open to let in a cool breath that lets us drift away into calmness!

Some years ago dad moved abroad for a long period ... No we didn't skip it at all :-) our friends & boyfriends/girlfriends started to be part of this ritual of graping the stuff from supermarket & bakery, preparing food, even adding new dishes & flavors.

Now, we have our second generation asking dad if today is a Friday? I think this breakfast is a witness of our life.

Me, I plan my trips back to Amman in a way that allows me to attend as much Fridays as I can. I don't leave after the breakfast I still need to to take my nap in that same sofa with TV on & all talking around me. How deep I sleep!

This ritual is one of my moments of life that I do cherish.

2 comments:

  1. After this, I won't dare to get near your Friday ;-) may you always find warmth and sweetness in this cherished tradition whenever you're here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know when would you like to join us.

    ReplyDelete